How can I get a divorce decree or court order allowing me to use my birth name after a divorce?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a divorce decree or court order allowing me to use my birth name after a divorce?

I was recently prevented from renewing my driver’s license as a result of the Federal Real ID Act despite being a naturalized citizen for over 30 years and having worked for several state governments for over 10 years. Even though I have a naturalization certificate (with photo attached) as well as copies of my divorce papers for my several marriages, I was informed by the clerk at my local DMV that I lacked a divorce decree or court order establishing that I changed my name back to my original name after the marriages ended.

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you already have a marital dissolution decree and judgment where you did not ask the court to change your married surname to that of your birth name during the proceeding, all you need to do is the following:

1. file a petition with the court in the same legal action where you received your marital dissolution decree seeking that the court change your married surname to that of your birth surname. By doing this, you will save a lot of time and effort as opposed to filing a whole new legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption