How can we obtain ownership of a car that was left behind by our loved one?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we obtain ownership of a car that was left behind by our loved one?

The car is almost paid off (4-5months). The decedent’s name as well as her husband is on the title. Her husband is incarcerated for her homicide. He and his family are trying to reclaim the car and my family fears that he will use the money to try and hurt our family again. We are currently using the car to transport her surviving children as this is the car she had been using prior to her death. Any information will be helpful.

Asked on April 9, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it is.  More information is really needed here to fully help with the matter but unless the car had been given to her in a divorce proceeding or otherwise it appears that it is her husband's now since he is on the title of the car.  Please speak with an attorney about the matter in full and guardianship of the children as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption