How can I prevent my mother from selling a valuable musical instrument that belongs to me?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I prevent my mother from selling a valuable musical instrument that belongs to me?

I am a harpist and inherited an antique harp from a close friend of my grandmother’s over 15 years ago. My parents divorced a few years later and the harp remained at my mother’s house so that I could have better access to it. My mother said she paid $12,000 in court for the “right to keep the harp in the house” and that she was “protecting it for me.” She has paid for maintenance on the harp over the past 10 years and has been renting it out to other harpists (with my permission) to earn extra money. Now she wants to sell the harp and I am not in agreement with this.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Business Law, California


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to work this out with your mom somehow.  Your relationship is important here and getting into a fight over an object however precious will be self defeating in the end.  Try to work this out amicably, or else you both will be forced to get lawyers to get a solution.  That will be expensive, contentious and create even more bitterness and should be looked at a last resort.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption