How canI have a civil judgement against me reversed?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI have a civil judgement against me reversed?

My late husband had a dispute over a hardwood floor he refinished. The man apparently sued in civil court, was awarded a judgement, and had me listed as jointly responsible. However I had no idea about a suit. The judgement was entered almost 1 1/2 years after my husband committed suicide. There was no “estate” or insurance. How could this happen? I just found this on my credit report. How am I responsible for his business debts? How can I stop this nonsense? I have been through hell.

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation and what happened. From the way that you have phrased the question here it definitely appears that you have a basis to vacate the judgement.  My concern is the time frame but hopefully the statute in your state of Oklahoma gives the court discretion to open the matter back up even if the stated time limit has passed.  Now, you need to find out here the judgement was rendered (in what court and in what county).  Go down there.  Get a copy of the pleadings (summons and complaint) and affidavit of service.  Then ask the clerk to allow you to file a Motion to Vacate the judgement.  Indicate on your supporting affidavit that you were not properly served with the pleadings and try and detail information to combat the affidavit of service.  Then state that your have a meritorious defense in that the work was done against a business (corporation hopefully) run by your deceased husband and that you had nothing to do with the business.  Also state that he dies prior to the lawsuit (if that is the case) so he could not have been served either.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption