House brought in my name and father before he got married is new wife entitle to house also

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

House brought in my name and father before he got married is new wife entitle to house also

My father brought house 10 years ago with me listed on mortgage. He got married in 7 years later and 3 years ago he, as grantor, removed my name from the deed and placed himself and his new wife as grantees. I’m still listed on mortgage with the bank and recently had to sign forms for refinancing. My father just died and I need to know does his wife have any legal claim to home since my father added her to deed and removed me from deed yet the mortgage is still in mine and his name?

Asked on November 13, 2017 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Please seek legal help.  You would have had to sign the new deed transferring the property to your Father and his Wife so I think that transfer is void. You will need to have it set aside.  How the rest of it passes depends on his Will or state intestacy laws.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption