What can I do if my insurance company says that my son is not covered under my policy and he was in a car accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my insurance company says that my son is not covered under my policy and he was in a car accident?

My son graduated from high school last year and left my home to stay with his sister hoping to attend school near her. Once in a while, I let him borrow my car to run an errand. One day and he was hit from behind at a stop sign. The other driver did not have insurance so my insurance company stated that they would not pay for the damages because my son was not on my insurance. I explained what I stated above and they are now doing an investigation which doesnt look good. The storage fees are enormous and growing, and the car was worth about $3000. What are my options? Who pays for this?

Asked on January 13, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) If you believe that the insurer should pay you under the terms of your policy--that your son was just an occasional borrower of your car, and not an uncovered regular driver--you could sue the insurer for breach of contract (an insurance policy is a contract) to force them to honor their obligations. To win, you'd have to prove in court that under the facts of the case, as applied to the policy, they should pay.
2) You could also sue the at-fault driver: not having insurance doesn't mean they might not have to pay, it just means they don't have insurance to pay for them. Of course, if they don't have money or assets, they can't pay--even if a court orders them to pay, if there's no money, there is no money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption