How do I get a theft under $100 citation off my record?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a theft under $100 citation off my record?

I have not gone to court yet.

Asked on December 27, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are a first-time offender you may be eligible for what is called "diversion" (or your state's equivalent). Under diversion, you will plead guilty to the charge in court, then be sentenced to a special probation, and if you successfully complete it, your plea will be withdrwan and the charge dismissed. In effect, it will be as though the arrest never occurred; your record will remain clean.
If you are not eligible for diversion, then you will need to google the name of the state in which the incident occurred and the word "expungement". You will then find the information that you need to determine whether or not you are eligble for an "expungment" (i.e. a clearing of your criminal history record). Some states allow for both felonies and misdemeanors to be removed, some just allow for misdemeanors and some jurisdictions don't allow expungments at all.
If you have any questions, you can contact a local criminal law attorney for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption