what are the procedures for sending in a Notice of abatement of improper service. and what possible responses should i accept.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what are the procedures for sending in a Notice of abatement of improper service. and what possible responses should i accept.

I sent a notice of abatement for improper service to the court clerk stating reasons as to why I will not appear unless defects in the service of process are corrected. I sent by certified mail and gave them 15 days to respond and to respond to my notary. I received a letter at my home address, not the notary, from the court clerk telling he received my abatement but if i wish to contest my speeding ticket i would need to come to court. Does this qualify as a response or can i send in a default notice and avoid going to court ? Or should i respond with a discovery interrogatories?

Asked on June 19, 2009 under Criminal Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Your question, unfortunately, doesn't give any of the facts about why you believe there are defects in the service of this speeding ticket.  Quite aside from the fact that I'm not a Virginia attorney, and the law and procedure of traffic court varies from one state to the next, there's no way for me to figure out whether you have any sound reason for refusing to appear -- much less for serving interrogatories, which in most states you can't even do in a case like this.

If you really want to risk being arrested for failure to appear in court, I'd strongly suggest that you review all of the facts with a lawyer in your area.  One place to find counsel is our website:  http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption