If my mother gives me permission to move out at 15, can she get into trouble?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother gives me permission to move out at 15, can she get into trouble?

I know that I am not yet able to be legally emancipated but my birthday is in 6 months and I’ll be 16. At that time, we will be putting my petition for emancipation through the courts. My mother and I were wondering if there’s a way I can move out without either of us getting into trouble? She says she’s willing to give any type of permission to let me leave to prove that I can support myself. We just want to go about this the right way.

Asked on November 24, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a court order deeming you an emancipated minor your mother is still legally responsble for your welfare under the laws of all states in this country until you are eighteen (18) years of age and have completed your senior year of high school.

Given what you have written, I suggest that you an your mother consult with a family law attorney about the substance of your question and how you may get your emancipation as a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption