What to do if I was teaching my mom how to drive when she got into accident with some parked cars?

UPDATED: May 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was teaching my mom how to drive when she got into accident with some parked cars?

There were no injury, however my insurance could not come into an agreement regarding the amount spent with the cars she hit (it belonged to the same person). There were some arbitration meeting but both insurances still couldn’t come to a conclusion. Now the case has gone to trial. The word trial terrifies me and my family? What should I expect? Also, my parents are out of the country for the date the trial has been set!? Would they extend the trial date!? Is there any way to possibly avoid this trial?

Asked on May 25, 2013 under Accident Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem. Your mom and you were negligent and it is surprising that the insurance companies would agree to coverage considering it sounds as if your mom was not a licensed driver. That being said, your mom needs to be there for the trial or if it is an issue wherein she simply cannot be there, your lawyer would need to ask the court for an extension or move that any depositions taken prior to trial will stand as her sworn testimony. Trial is the method wherein two parties cannot agree on a settlement; it really is not a scary thing as long as the parties are civil to one another. The only cause for concern here is if your insurance company has plans to sue you for contribution or reimbursement. You need to get that matter resolved prior to trial which should set your mind at ease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption