Georgia Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you live in Georgia and would like to change your name, you might be surprised at the simplicity of the process. The proper form filed in your local superior court and payment of a fee will get you well on your way. Let us help by providing answers to some of the questions you may have about the process.

What forms are required for a Georgia name change?

The State of Georgia does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Georgia State Code for more details: Georgia State Code on Lexis-Nexis (search for “§19-12-1”)

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Georgia?

The completed forms must be filed with the superior court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Possibly, check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Georgia?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local superior court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of your proposed name chance must be published in the local newspaper within a week of filing your Petition, and must run at least once a week for four consecutive weeks.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption