North Carolina Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Legal tasks like changing your name can often seem too difficult to do on your own. In North Carolina, though, changing your name is mostly just a matter of filing the notarized, completed forms with the right court and paying a fee. The information provided below will clarify the requirements even more.

What forms are required for a name change in North Carolina?

The following forms are required to change your name in North Carolina:

  • Notice (of Intent to file Petition)
  • Petition for Legal Name Change of an Adult
  • Affidavits of Character (2)

These forms can be found on the Wake County Courts website. The Affidavits must be signed by two adults who reside in your county.

Where do I file the forms for a North Carolina name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Petition and both Affidavits must be notarized.

Is there a filing fee for a North Carolina name change?

Yes. The fee is $50. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your Petition after notice is given.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

No. However, you must post your Notice on the courthouse bulletin board (or door of the Clerk’s Office). It must be posted for at least 10 full calendar days prior to submission of your Petition.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption