UPDATED: Jul 9, 2018

Changing your name is a relatively simple task that is mostly a matter of completing the proper form and filing it with the chancery court clerk where you live. If you would like to change your name in Mississippi, we can help get you started with the following information:

What forms are required for a Mississippi name change?

The State of Mississippi does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Mississippi Code for more details: MS Code (Courtesy of Lexis-Nexis) Click on the Code on the left side of the page, then “Title 93- Domestic Relations,” then “Chapter 17,” then the first section. 93-17-1

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Mississippi?

The completed forms must be filed with the chancery court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Mississippi?

Check with your local courthouse.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local courthouse.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse.