Indiana Name Change

You are required to file paperwork and pay a fee of $104 to legally change your name in Indiana. The six forms required for an Indiana Name Change are 1) an appearance form, 2) a verified petition for change of name, 3) a notice of filing proof of publication and request for hearing, 4) an affidavit of publication, 5) a notice of hearing, and 6) an order on verified petition for change of name.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Written By: Jeffrey JohnsonUPDATED: Dec 16, 2020Fact Checked

If you have wanted to change your name in Indiana but hesitated because you believed it to be too complicated, take heart. It’s not as difficult as you might think.

The procedure mostly involves completing the proper forms and filing them with the court in your area. A fee is also required. Here is some information you will need to get started.

What forms are required for an Indiana name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Indiana:

  • Appearance Form(Form #1)
  • Verified Petition for Change of Name(Form #2)
  • Notice of Filing Proof of Publication and Request for Hearing(Form #3)
  • Affidavit of Publication(Form #4)
  • Notice of Hearing(Form #5)
  • Order on Verified Petition for Change of Name (Form #6)

These forms can be found on the Indiana State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Indiana?

The completed forms must be filed with the court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Indiana?

Yes. The fee is $104. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing. It must be at least 30 days after the last date your notice is published in the local newspaper.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish a notice of your name change in the local newspaper once a week for three weeks after the Petition is submitted.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption