Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

A straightforward adult name change is not a difficult task to accomplish. Most people can follow the process themselves; a legal name change typically involves filling out a form, filing your forms with your local court, paying a fee, possibly attending a hearing, and publishing your name change in a local newspaper for a set number of days. You can then use the final court judgment to change your name on all your legal documents.

Name Change Requirements: Variations by State

While the steps are relatively simple, each state has its own rules and fees for accomplishing a name change. Local rules in your community may also apply. Click here to find information about how to accomplish an adult name change in your state.

When you decide to change your name, your first task will be obtaining the correct form from your local courthouse. Every courthouse will have name change forms available. There are typically four different forms required for a name change depending on your situation: A marriage license form, divorce form, adoption form, and basic name change form. Each form requires a fee that is typically paid while you are at the courthouse. In most cases, submitting the forms will be sufficient for your name change. Some states may require publication of your name change. In these cases, the rules will be specified in the instructions on the form.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After You Submit Your Name Change Form

After you submit the name change form, most states will give you a 90 day grace period to change your name on all of your legal and personal information. When changing your name, you will need to bring the name change document along with you for verification purposes. The primary places where you must change your name within the first 90 days include your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (where you’ll be changing your driver’s license and registration documents), your passport (send this in immediately with a copy of your driver’s license as you only have 90 days to change it for free), your Social Security card, bank accounts, post office, utility companies, service companies, employer’s records and any mail order subscriptions. If you are job hunting, you’ll also want to make sure that you update your resume accordingly. As soon as it is possible, you’ll also want to update your will or trust documents.

As you move forward with your name change process, the most difficult task will be changing your name with all of the different companies and people with whom you do business on a regular basis.