How can we get copies of my father’s paystubs or wage statements?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we get copies of my father’s paystubs or wage statements?

My father has been divorced from my mother for 10 years. He got a 30% increase in pay a

year after the divorce. My mother gets 40% of his net bonuses but he refuses to provide proof of the amount because he does not want my mother to know that he has been earning more than he claims. Is there anyway to get the check stubs or statement? He told me that he would see that bitch homeless before she gets what he works for.

Asked on June 11, 2016 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get them is in litigation. Your mother could bring a legal action (either a motion in an existing case or a new case) against him and, in the course of that case, both look to get the information from him (with written document production requests) and/or from his employer (with subpoenas). The suit would be to enforce the terms of the divorce decree or settlement. It would be a good idea for her to retain a family lawyer to help with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption