Travel expense time in Massachusetts

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Travel expense time in Massachusetts

I am an hourly employee at a fixed
location1 mile from my homefor the
past 3 years. I have been asked to
travel to a location 62 miles from my
home for work because my building doesnt
have hours for me. This has increased my
travel time to over an hour in each
direction. My employer will reimburse
for miles but not travel time. Is this

Asked on July 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal. You have been transferred  to a different location, which your employer may do. An employer does not need to pay an hourly employee for his/her commute--that is, for the time spent traveling to work in the morning (or whenever his/her work starts) or back home at the end of the work day. (And a salaried employee never needs to be paid for travel time.) A 60-mile commute is unfortunate, but is still just considered your commute to work; you are not paid for it. (It could be worse; my wife's current assignment involves an hour-and-a-half to two hour each way daily commute, for which she is not paid.) You are actually lucky they are giving you mileage reimbursement--they are not required to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption