UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I found out that my sister forged and
cashed 5 different checks that where
payable to my husband, myself and our 3
children. The checks where valued at
1435 total.she endorsed them to herself
and deposited them into her bank
account. When I confronted her about it
she asked me if we could handle it
without the law involved and I was
considering it. When she asked me what I
wanted to make it right I told her that
I thought the money that was taken from
us and interest was fair. She then
informed me that she was recording the
conversation and says it’s blackmail so
it would be in my best interest to drop
it and leave it alone. Did I unknowingly
commit Extortion? I too recorded all our

Asked on January 30, 2018 under Criminal Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You did not commit extortion.  You have a right to be compensated for your sister's forgery and theft of the checks.
Extortion is the unlawful obtaining of money from another.  You have a lawful right to demand compensation for your sister's forgery and theft of the checks.  Therefore, no extortion occurred on your part.
Extortion is taking something unlawfully with threats of force or fear.
Your sister may have violated state law by secretly recording you without your consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption