Can my landlord lock me out with out for non-payment of rent without seeing a judge first?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord lock me out with out for non-payment of rent without seeing a judge first?

My rent was due on the 1st and I have yet to pay it. I am never late on rent and this is my last month here until my lease is up. I received a 5 day notice like 5-6 days ago. I told my landlord that I will pay her full rent and late fees in 3 days but she told me no; if I don’t pay by today I will be locked out. Is she allowed to do that? If she does do that what are my rights? Ialso have a dog that will be locked in if she does it while I’m gone.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No--the landlord may not simply lock you out. All evictions must be by judicial process, through the courts. You may only be evicted if you violate the terms of your lease, and then only by bringing an eviction action in the courts. If you are illegally evicted, you can sue for re-entry and/or for monetary compensation. For example, any costs or injuries you incur due to an illegal eviction--lost or damaged belongings, cost to store your property somewhere, cost to stay in a  hotel or motel, etc.--are all things you could recover if you are illegal evicted. If your dog is locked in, you may be able to go to the courts on an emergency basis to gain access--though if you know your landlord may try this (even thought its illegal), it would be prudent to maybe leave the dog with family or friends.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption