Employer not following through on benefit

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer not following through on benefit

One of the benefits of employment was to provide 50 off the top at our
local universities. My employer is not following through and now, my
daughters are unable to register for classes due to non-payment of their bills.
What should my next steps be?

Asked on November 8, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the "promise" was contained in a written contract, it is enforceable: if not provided the benefit, you could sue your employer for "breach of contract" for it. But if the promise was not contained in a contract, it is not enforceable: the law does not, as a general matter, enforce non-contractual promises, and more specifically, in the absence of a contract, all employment is "employment at will" and the employer may change compensation, benefits, etc. at any time, for any reason, without warning. So unless you have a contract guarantying you this, there would be nothing you could do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption