What to do if my employer falsely reported wages earned?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer falsely reported wages earned?

A former employer has falsely reported wages earned to the state Dept. of Labor. It was in a quarter I absolutely did not work for them or anyone after they “furloughed” me. Their W-2 is correct and doesn’t show the quarter in questions earnings. What are the implications for me and/or them? What would they have to gain or was it an innocent mistake?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It could mean a lot depending on what the accounting looks like and if it is to their benefit. It could be a simple mistake but give the employer or former employer formal notice to correct the error because basically it could trigger penalties on your taxes for not reporting wages and it could trigger audits for you and your former employer. Better to fix it now and better to do so before you file a return. If your former employer fixes the error before tax deadline, then you could file or amend your return and it should be no problem. Be proactive because you definitely do not want to create an automatic audit trigger.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption