What can I do about a DV warrant that I got in the mail?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a DV warrant that I got in the mail?

The other person involved had already patched things up before I got the warrant. The other person doesn’t want to pursue this and shes already reached out to her contacts about dropping this. However, there is still a warrant. Is there a process of some sort to get this all taken care of? Can a warrant expire if the other person doesn’t do anything, like return phone calls with the police an stuff like that?

Asked on January 19, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Warrants do not expire charge. You will need to appear before a judge to clear this up, plus to handle the underlying charge. With respect to the DV charge, it is not up to the alleged victim to get the charges dropped; the decision that rests with the prosecutor. Accordingly, a case may go forward and be prosecuted over your objection and without your cooperation so long as there is other strong evidence to support the charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption