What to do if dropped charges still coming up on a background check?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if dropped charges still coming up on a background check?

I was arrested in 03/02 because I hit someone in self-defense. He called the police first so I got arrested. Anyway, after several months of going to court I was able to prove that he was at fault and not me; the charges were supposedly dropped. Now I just had a background check and it came back that I was convicted of attempted assault. How is that so? What is my next move, should I obtain a criminal law attorney or are there other ways to go about it? I have tried to contact the court in which it was issued. In Niagara, NY.

Asked on January 25, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You may just have to get an attorney to help you with this.  This is more than just an arrest not being cleared off of your criminal record history.  This is a totally incorrect entry of the disposition of your case.  Since you have tried to contact the court in question (you did not indicate its response), you really should have legal counsel who is knowledgeable in this area.  Most defense attorney's can help you with this or at least recommend another attorney who can.  Even after the incorrect information is deleted, you also want to make sure that the record of your arrest is "sealed".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption