Does my spouse have legal rights to terminate paying alimony on his own?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my spouse have legal rights to terminate paying alimony on his own?

I was married for 20 years and after 20 years decided to get a divorce. The entire time we were

married I was never employed. The spousal support agreement was very vague and something to the effect of ‘I will pay spousal support of $1,800 a month and that was including child support

Asked on April 11, 2019 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, he does not. A spousal support agreement is like any other contract in that it obligates the parties to it and neither party can change or terminate it on their own--it would require the consent (agreement) of both parties (you and your ex-spouse) or a court order (if a legal challenge were brought to the agreement and a judge agreed that something about it had to be changed) to alter or terminate alimony. You can sue him to enforce the agreement--to get the back money owed you and force him to pay in the future. Clearly, having an attorney would be beneficial, but you are allowed to bring the legal action on your own or "pro se."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption