Can the court give my ex a car that i acquired after the filing date?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the court give my ex a car that i acquired after the filing date?

Recently found out that the court gave my car to the ex in the divorce. The
purchase of the car happened months after the filing of divorce. It says that im
granted all property i acquire after the filing date. Wouldnt that include the

Asked on April 12, 2019 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you bought the car with money you had acquired prior to the filing date (or by trading in a pre-filing car), or there is evidence that you actually had the car pre-filing but delaying finalizing the sale until post-filing to defraud your spouse, then the court could award it to her, since the actuality is that the car was a pre-filing acquisition in these cases. (If the money or trade-incar you used to pay for it was owned pre-filing, then the new car takes its place as a pre-filing asset; otherwise, you could defeat the intent of the court's order by simply using pre-filing assets to buy new assets post-filing.OP
However, if it was truly acquired after filing using post-filing money or assets only, then you are right: the car should be yours. In this instance, you would seem to have good grounds to appeal the decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption