What can I do if my doctor is refusing to give me an evaluation for a job?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my doctor is refusing to give me an evaluation for a job?

I took my DoT physical at central care, the place that was recommended by my new employer. When my drug test came back, it tested positive for Adderall. I told them that I had a prescription. They asked me to go to my doctor and get a letter stating that I am OK to drive a car. My doctor responded saying that,

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything: there is NO law or professional obligation requring your doctor to provide a verification to an employer or anyone else that you can drive safely; since the doctor is not under any duty to do this, they cannot be compelled to do so or be sued for not doing so--you are not liable if you refuse to do what you are not required to do.
(There is, by the way, good reason for you doctor to NOT do this: if they provided a letter saying it is safe for you to drive and you were then allowed to drive, and you subsequently hurt someone or damaged property, if that accident was in any way due to the Adderall that the doctor cleared you to drive while using, the doctor could be sued.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption