Does my employer have to honor the restrictions that my doctor has placed on me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my employer have to honor the restrictions that my doctor has placed on me?

shoulder injured having to use equipment I’m should not use

Asked on October 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The issue is, just how disruptive are the restrictions to your core job duties? An employer is prohibited from discriminating against a worker due to a disability. This may mean making reasonable accomodations. A "reasonable accomodation" is one which does not cost too much money and/or is not too disruptive to the employer. If the requested accomodation requires that the employee be placed in a different job than the one that they were hired to do, and/or makes it impossible for them to effectively perform their duties, the company may not have to honor the requested restriction. Bottom line, the specific facts of your situation will control. Accordingly, you should meet with an employment law attorney who can go over the details of the matter with you and advise you accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption