If I’m a tenant who is living in a home to be foreclosed on, do I need to send an answer to the court and attorney?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a tenant who is living in a home to be foreclosed on, do I need to send an answer to the court and attorney?

I have no interest in this property and will be moving out. A summons was served to me as the occupant, saying that a lawsuit has been filed against the owners and tenant and we have 20 days to respond.

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you don't answer, then you will default in this case (basically, forfeit, like a team forfeiting a ball game by not showing up) and have no right to oppose the foreclosure. But since you apparently do not want to try and fight the foreclosure or have a chance to be heard in this case, that would not matter. So as long as you are prepared to move out or are moving out, you could not file an answer. But before committing to do that, review the complaint and just make sure they haven't accidently or incorrectly listed you as an owner--you don't want a judgment against you as owner. If they did incorrectly describe your relationship to the property, you should answer specifically to correct that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption