If my 18 year old has her own insurance policy aside from ours, can we be held responsible if she causes an accident but lives at home?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 18 year old has her own insurance policy aside from ours, can we be held responsible if she causes an accident but lives at home?

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Accident Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your adult child has her own auto insurance policy on the car that she drives, the only way I can see possible liability that you and your spouse could be held accountable for if she is an auto accident is if registered title to the vehicle is not entirely in her name, but is in your or your spouse's name. Liability could result if you allowed her to use your vehicle knowing that she was not a competent driver of the car in your name or spouse's name.

Another possible area of liabilty for the use of the vehicle that your daughter drives if it is in your name is if you allow your 18 year old daughter to drink alcohol at home and let her drive this vehicle under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, an accident is caused by her and someone is injured.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption