Is the builder liable to fix faulty pole barn?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the builder liable to fix faulty pole barn?

I had a pole barn built 10 years ago and the poles are working themselves up out of the ground. The builder has adjusted doors, checked pole depth, etc. over the years but the problem continues to happen. The barn is up 9 inches and continuing to get worse. Is the builder liable to fix the barn?

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The longest statute of limitations applicable to construction defects in your state is only 6 years; that means that if the barn was built 10 years ago, it is now too late to sue the builder--that in turn means that the builder is no longer legally liable for any faults or defects (though, they could, of course, voluntarily decide to fix any problems if they chose).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption