What are my rights for visiting friends in duplex where I no longer live?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights for visiting friends in duplex where I no longer live?

Does the owner of a small duplex complex have the right to threaten me with arrest for coming to visit friends still living there or to stop me from passing through their complex to get to other friends who live behind the complex? The residents behind the complex have to pass through as this is the only access they have to their homes and the only access any guests have to get there. Can they send threatening letters banning me from

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the owners of property can ban a non-resident--even one one who used to live there--from entering onto, coming into, passing through, etc. the property; in short, the owner can ban you from the property, even if you know other people who still leave in or near it, and can call the police on you for trespassing if you enter, etc. the property. The property owner can determine who has the right to enter the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption