Do I need a lawyer to try and get diversionprogram or am I able to ask the judge about this on my own?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a lawyer to try and get diversionprogram or am I able to ask the judge about this on my own?

Charges are drug possession about a gram and drug paraphernalia? This is my first arrest ever; my record was previously clean. Should I plead guilty and try to get diversion or plead not guilty and talk to a public defender to work something out and then change my plea to guilty?

Asked on July 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Listen, it is always good to have someone there to run interference for you in these type of cases.  Ask for a public defender.  Then ask your attorney about getting you in to a program NOW before yo even go to the first hearing on the matter.  This will show the court that you just made a one time error in judgement and that you have no intention of letting this be a pattern the rest of your life.  Even if you have to pay for the program privately your self you should consider it.  It may help get the charges reduced or even dismissed after a probationary period.  Talk about your options because a conviction could follow you the rest of your life.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption