Do I have to pay my probation fees in order to get off of probation?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay my probation fees in order to get off of probation?

And is there a way to fight my case after signing a plea bargain? My neighbor gave me stolen property that I didn’t know was stolen (a toaster). I was arrested and charged with a C felony burglary even though I never stole anything. I spent three months in jail and am still on probation for another 5 months. I really needed a lawyer when I was in jail but my family didn’t care enough. I want to go back to court and fight it and get it off my record..

Asked on April 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Indiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

For the first part of your question-- yes you must finish paying your fines, fees, or any other costs assessed by the court to get off probation.  The exception is if you can demonstrate an inability to pay then sometimes a judge will allow you to be discharged without paying your fine or other costs... if you can demonstrate an ability to work or to find gainful employment.

As for the second part of your question, undoing a plea bargain is very difficult.  There are some limited exceptions-- for example if you were not properly warned of certain things, like deportation consequences.  To know for sure if there would be an exception applicable to your case, take a copy of your offense report and all of your court papers to a criminal appellate attorney.  From there they can review your records to see if there is an applicable exception.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption