What to do if I have been arressted for DUI/DWLR and was previously convicted 4 times for DUI but that was more than 15 years ago?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been arressted for DUI/DWLR and was previously convicted 4 times for DUI but that was more than 15 years ago?

I suffer from arthritis in the neck and have been prescribed Tramadol and Flexeril which were in my system at the time of the arrest. I refused chemical tests because I had been drinking. I had quit drinking altogether but had given in to temptation while visiting a cousin for the weekend. About 6 months ago I was granted a restoration hearing and was due to receive my license back in 6 more months. Will the lookback period help me at all? If I get an alcohol assessment voluntarily and begin treatment, will it possible to qualify for work release instead of jail?

Asked on April 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney with respect to the matter that you now find yourself in. Note, most states in this country do not allow for a prior conviction more than seven (7) years from the current offense to be added as an enhancement with respect to the current DUI charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption