Do I have to pay for additional work on my car that I already paid for?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay for additional work on my car that I already paid for?

Car has been n the shop almost 2 months. They called me to pick it up twice, both times the car wasn’t ready, check engine light still on. The last time I paid for the work to find out it wasn’t ready. Now they want to charge me for additional work that didnt solve the problem. Saturday I was told they have to go back in the engine again. Their guessing their way through and want to charge me for the parts and labor. I want to take them to court n do I need the police to go get my car if I don’t pay them for the bogus work.

Asked on February 3, 2019 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) While you would have to pay for additional problems not caused by them (e.g. by bad repairs) if such are found and they fix them, you don't need to pay for either specific repairs which you already paid for (having paid them for those repairs, they are obligated to complete them) or for problems which they themselves cause (someone cannot require you to pay them for damage, issues, etc. which they cause).
2) If you want your car back and they will not release it, the police will most likely not help you, because this is not a criminal case (i.e. a stolen car) but would be viewed as a "civil" dispute (a disgreement over what has to be paid for). You'd have to go to court and seek a court order releasing the car to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption