Which policy do I adhere by if I told my employer I was pregnant and then a month later the leave policy changed?

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which policy do I adhere by if I told my employer I was pregnant and then a month later the leave policy changed?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Stephan Math / Law Offices of Stephan Math

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Notwithstanding your employer's personnel policies, California law provides for pregnancy leave under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act:

California employers with five or more employees are subject to FEHA's pregnancy disability leave (PDL) law, which gives employees who are disabled because of pregnancy up to 4 months of unpaid leave. Govt C §§12926(d), 12945(a)(1). The employer must maintain group health insurance coverage for employees during a PDL leave on the same terms as if the employee had continued to work. If the employee fails to return to work after the leave expires, the employer may be able to recover premiums paid during the leave. Govt C 12945(a)(2)(A).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption