Do I have to pay back taxes regarding inherited property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay back taxes regarding inherited property?

My father passed and owned a part of his parents property they willed to him. I was never told about the property. He paid taxes on this property for 9 years until 18 years ago. The brother bought the 39 acres from the sisters and tried to sell it. When they went to do a title search they found tow heirs. They found me and my cousin. The uncle passed and the daughter is trying to make us pay back taxes on this property that he had paid. Do we have to if we knew nothing about the property?

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Being an heir does not require you to pay if you "disclaim," or give up on, the inheritance: so if you refuse to accept the share of  or interest in the property that would go to you, you are not responible for the taxes--being someone's child does not make you liable on their taxes. If you want to disclaim, contact the probate court's office; they be able to direct you to the forms and procedure.
If you do inherit the property, then they can try to force you to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption