is it legal for neighbor to have sub pump and run off flooding my yard and basement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it legal for neighbor to have sub pump and run off flooding my yard and basement?

purchased our home on May 26,2017 and have been flooded 4 times. its causing
erosion of ground around our home, gutters in our yard and our water to be muddy
causing us to have to replace filter after filter,and the water from the sub pump
has a smell of sewage. i’ve spoken to him the first time it occurred and he just
smiled. went to the township enforcement officer and he also has done nothing
about it. we have 10,000.00 already invested in trying to stop it but as long as
he doesnt do anything its a loosing battle. Please tell me my options. thank you

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your neighbor for nuisance for flooding your property.  Nuisance is an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of your property.
Damages (monetary compensation) in a lawsuit for nuisance may be inadequate due to multiplicity of lawsuits for the ongoing flooding and damage to your property.  Damages are also inadequate because land is unique.
When damages are inadequate, you can pursue an injunction to stop the flooding. The court will balance your interests against those of your neighbor in determining whether or not to grant an injunction.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption