Do I consult a business and tax lawyer in the place I want to incorporate a business or in the state we are domiciled?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I consult a business and tax lawyer in the place I want to incorporate a business or in the state we are domiciled?

I want to start an online business and want to consult with a business and tax lawyer about the appropriate avenue for incorporation based on what I want to do. My husband is a U.S. diplomat which means we live overseas. Since our physical location determines where we pay taxes and how one would normally choose a lawyer, I’m not sure if I go by the state to incorporate in or the state where we’re domiciled in choosing where to look for a lawyer that could help me with my questions.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Business Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to create a business and run it as a corporate entity, you need to consult with a business and tax attorney located in the state where you plan on doing business and incorporating the entity that you wish to create.

The reason is that you will need to be aware of the laws in the state where your corporate entity will be conducting business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption