Can I get a felony knocked down to a misdemeanor if this is my first offense and I’m in college?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a felony knocked down to a misdemeanor if this is my first offense and I’m in college?

I got caught trying to hide weed (1/2 oz – 5 lbs) in the car so they searched it and found a scale that I wasn’t aware was in there. It wasn’t my scale nor was I the driver or the owner of the vehicle. I’m being charged for intent to distribute.

Asked on February 15, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The particulars of your situation and the ability to have the charges reduced need to be discussed with an attorney in person.  I urge you to contact one and hire them as soon as you possibly can.  I am sure that you realize that this is not a situation to be taken lightly and it can have a terrible impact on your life.  So please: speak with some one now.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption