Damage from inproper tow

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Damage from inproper tow

My car got towed from a street i
shouldn’t have parked there I paid the
lot fee to take out the car but when I
picked it up the car no longer worked
it seems they broke the transmission
from towing it improperly I tried
contacting the tow company to see if
they could give me their insurance and
they refused what legal action can I

Asked on September 27, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The police are not liable--they did not tow. And if you only had liability coverage, your own insurance is not liable--you did not purchase the necessary insurance to cover this situation. But you can sue the towing company for the cost to repair (you don't need to them to voluntarily give you their insurance information; you can sue them without their cooperation) for having negligently, or unreasonably carelessly, damaged your car while they were moving it. Anyone who negligently damages another's property is liable, or financially responsible, for the cost. If the cost to repair/replace the transmission is less than or equal to the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims "pro se" (as your own attorney) to save on legal fees is an excellent option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption