If my son was hit by a car crossing at a crosswalk last night, what type of lawyer do I need?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son was hit by a car crossing at a crosswalk last night, what type of lawyer do I need?

He did nothing wrong. And I happened to witness it all. I need to file a police report today. Do I need a lawer now or after the report is made? My son suffered a broken leg and hand.

Asked on September 15, 2014 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You don't need an attorney to file a police report, and should do so as soon as possible, so that the police can begin trying to catch the wrongdoer. You will need an attorney to sue for monetary compensation for your son, to which you'd be entitled if the driver, and not your son, were at fault. You could potentially recover his medical costs (current and projected future if, for example, he'll need rehabilitation or the like in the future); your lost wages, if you've missed work due to this; and pain and suffering, if he suffers signficant impairment for any appreciable length of time. You should speak with a personal injury (PI) attorney about the situation; many provide a free initial consultation, and you can verify that before making an appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption