Could I be charged with a crime for tossing a football back and forth with a child and causing some bruises?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could I be charged with a crime for tossing a football back and forth with a child and causing some bruises?

I work for an after school program and I tossed a football back and forth with a child there. Afterward the child’s forearm was red, and I’m worried that a bruise might form. This occurred on 11/20. It is 11/23 now and I have not heard anything about, but I’m feeling paranoid. Could charges be brought against me? What is the likelihood that I could get into legal trouble?

Asked on November 22, 2018 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This is not a criminal case.
If the kid receives medical treatment, a personal injury claim could be filed with your employer's (school district's) insurance carrier. The case will be settled with that insurance carrier which will end the matter. There is nothing for you to worry about.
If the kid does not receive medical treatment, there is no personal injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption