What is my ex-girlfriend entitled to if she lent me money to purchase my house?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my ex-girlfriend entitled to if she lent me money to purchase my house?

I bought a home and needed $5000 from her to qualify for a loan. Her name is on the title of the house only. She has never lived in the home (just me). She stored some of her stuff here but now has it. She will not release her name from the title. She says she is entitled to half of everything even if she has never lived there. Since she made the $5000 loan there has been at least $15,000 in upgrades done to the place. We were dating for about 15+ years. I asked her to marry me twice and both times she said no.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

She is in a good position as the owner of the house by being on the deed but you are not in such a bad one as you may think. As the owner she is responsible for the maintenance and the taxes etc., on the house regardless of her being on the mortgage.  These payment and improvements to the property that you have made and paid for can be leveraged against her "ownership" of the property.  You are going to need legal help to get through this.  Good Luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption