Can you get jail time for first offense of driving under the influence of drugs?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get jail time for first offense of driving under the influence of drugs?

Driving under the influence of marijuana and had possession. Is it likely to get jail time or lose driving privileges?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In the state of Pennsylvania if you were arrested for driving under the influence of marijuana and for alos possession of this illegal substance in your state, one pleading out to such charges or being convicted of such will surely lose his or her driving privileges for a certain period of time and most likely be sentenced to some time in the county jail (if no time already served post arrest).

Potentially one could receive a suspended driver's license allowing driving privileges to and from work from Pennsylvania's Department of Motor Vehicles. One's insurance premiums will also increase substantially for the motor vehicle.

In addition, most likely there will be fines and penalties inposed upon the offender if convicted of the charged offenses. Amounts would be in the range of $900 to $1,200.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption