What to do before giving an officer tips about crimes in return the officer will helping with my own current charges?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do before giving an officer tips about crimes in return the officer will helping with my own current charges?

I was pulled over in MDabout a month ago and gave consent for searching my body and car because I was unaware I could say no. The officer found marijuana and asked if there was anything else he should know about. I told him I had paraphernalia in the trunk which he found. I am being charged with both of course. The next day he called me and said if I had any tips about any dealing or other crimes and were to give them to him that he would help my own personal charges of possession and paraphernalia being that I had a clean record. I have info but how should I prepare to tell? What precautionary steps should I take? Should I speak with a criminal law attorney? In Baltimore County, MD.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written in your question, it seems that the arresting officer is seeking to have you act as an informant to provide information about other drug dealings or other crimes in exchange for the possibility of reduced or dismissed charges from your arrest since you apparently have never been in trouble with the law before.

If you are considering providing such information to law enforcement in exchange for reduced charges or a dismissal of those against you, you need to retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the negotiations for any deal that may be struck concerning the charges against you so that if you do provide the requested information you receive from the prosecution what was promised.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption