What is the best way to handle a bench warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to handle a bench warrant?

My boyfriend received a 1st offense DUI (bac .10-.16) 9 months ago in PA. He was released on his own recognizance and given a date for court. We live in FL and he mixed up the dates and missed the court date. He now has a bench warrant for his arrest. What is the best way to handle this bench warrant without him losing his FL drivers license, FL CDL license, job, and not get arrested here and spend unnecessary jail time?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your boyfriend got confusedon a court appearance and failed to attend a court appearance for a criminal offense where a bench warrant was issued, the best way to resolve the situation for him is to retain a criminal defense attorney at this point in time to get the bench warrant recalled with minimum negative outcome for him.

Although the retention of a criminal defense attorney now will cost money, the end result will most likely be a lot better given the circumstances if your boyfriend tried to handle the failed appearance and issued bench warrant on his own.

By doing this, he will not be worried about being arrested, having to pay bail and spending time in jail.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption