Can the Army Corp of Engineers be sued for giving me fraudulent documents?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the Army Corp of Engineers be sued for giving me fraudulent documents?

In 2002, a local rep for the Army Corp of Eng gave me a letter stating that the land I recently purchased is no longer in 100 year flood zone. This letter had to be presented to my bank for financing a home to be placed on the property. The bank used my land as collateral for financing my home. My bank would not finance a structure if it was to be placed in a known flood zone. Since 2002, my property and home have been flooded 4 times. All of the maps that I see on the FEMA site, state that I am in the 100 year flood zone. I feel that The Army Corp of Engineers give me a bogus letter.

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Then you need to contact an attorney who handles land use/zoning and has experience in engineering to determine if indeed you have a case -- i.e. you relied to your detriment on the representations made by the Army Corp of Engineers.  Your lawyer also needs to determine if the Army Corp of Engineers is not immune from suit.


Try and check his or her record at the West Virginia State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption