If I’m a first time offender and I have been charged with petit larceny of $155, what are my options?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a first time offender and I have been charged with petit larceny of $155, what are my options?

Again, I have no criminal record at all. The problem is that I can’t afford an attorney and I work so I don’t qualify for assigned council where I live.

Asked on October 13, 2014 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok.  If you have a clean record and have never been arrested for this before, you can see if the DA's office has a diversion program for shoplifting and will allow you to take it.  I bet that they do. Most counties in New York have them.  the court can be taken online even for a fee of $75.  This will allow you to get an "ACD": adjournment contemplating dismissal.  That means that after a certain period of time (usually 6 months) the matter goes away and you will not have a record.  You need to have your arrest record sealed and get your prints back after you stay clean for 6 months.  Please consider hiring an attorney if you can. If you are convicted it will follow you on every job application from then on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption