Can police drive my car if they arrest me for driving without a license?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can police drive my car if they arrest me for driving without a license?

I came out of a store and saw a cop at the light with no head lights on. When I pulled out he pulled me over and said that he could read my license plate and asked for my license. It was suspended at the time, so he put me and handcuffs changed his story and said that he pulled me over because he got a call about me chilling in front of the store. He then got into my car and drove it back to the police station.

Asked on August 20, 2016 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the police may drive your car, if you are arrested or are otherwise unable to drive, to preserve it (i.e. to move it from someplace it may be stolen or damaged), to improve safety (not leaving it somewhere someone may hit), to remove it from an illegal parking zone, and/or to preserve evidence. They could alternately have had it towed, but it was probably better for your car to be driven than be towed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption